Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Harness rules for New Jersey 

I have read some emails from the HRG group that New Jersey State law requires SFI belts to be 2 years old or newer, FIA belts can be up to 5 years old. Perhaps someone from TECH can chime in with the correct rules to make sure everyone understands New Jerseys rules. Thanks
Carl Stenquist

Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 pm
Site Admin

Hi Carl,

Page 13 of this document from the New Jersey State Police:
http://www.njsp.org/divorg/operations/pdf/mvracetrack/20150709_racing_regulations.pdf

There's another thread on the forum here: http://www.vrgonline.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=322 which touches on NJMP belt requirements as well.

2 years for SFI belts, 5 years for FIA.

Also, red fuel jugs must be used - any other color will not be filled by the pump attendant.

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.vrgonline.org

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator

Ian Wisbon wrote:
Also, red fuel jugs must be used - any other color will not be filled by the pump attendant.

I haven't been to NJMP (yet) - may I assume I can pump gas directly into my fuel cell? It is red...

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:08 pm
Site Admin

You'd have to ask a NJ native - I know you're not allowed to pump your own fuel in the state of NJ. I expect not?

We only ever pump into fuel jugs, not directly into the race car. :?:

http://www.vrgonline.org

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:25 am
Profile WWW

Pumping directly into the car is fine. Also, get used to the 2-year rule for SFI belts; it looks like that's becoming the norm. I'm happy to go on record, though, saying I find it impossible to believe there's a real safety risk after only 2 years.

Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:25 pm
Site Moderator

For what it's worth, I have seen them dispense fuel directly into a number of cars at NJMP, so that's not an issue and I've seen the attendants handing the hose to racers to fill their own fuel cells too, in case you are also worried about that.

I agree with Michael that the 2 year rule for SFI belts is absurd, considering how most of our cars are cared for. Personally, I haven't an issue with belts 5 years old (particularly in coupes in which they are protected even more than in open cars). We can have a discussion about how much belts deteriorate year by year and I believe most research shows they are still plenty capable, if well cared for, at periods that exceed 5 years.

However, the problem is made worse by a lawsuit crazed populace. First, the manufacturers are looking to make money, so they have set somewhat arbitrary rules about the lifespan of their products. Accepted in this is they will take the worst case scenario and shorten life span to prevent legal issues. NJ simply used the existing rules at the time when creating the language in their law...again, why go out on a limb and risk any legal issues. The problem is that they have not updated their law in accordance with changes made by the SFI in extending the life span of their belts (which I personally think was done to better compete with FIA belts).

Again, no organization wishing to avoid lawsuits is going to go counter to laws made by a manufacturer or by the state...there's no way to fight a lawsuit filed by someone against anyone who ignores them. So, yes, the NJ law is outdated, but when racing in NJ, one simply has to deal with it.

Luckily, seat belts are not terribly expensive and hopefully...at some future time...the state will reword the law to more closely follow the current manufacturers dating policies.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:29 am
Site Moderator

With regard to pumping your own fuel, the State of NJ requires that an attendant do that at all gas stations. Now he may let you fill your own red fuel jug/race car but if he is not there then the fuel pumps are OFF, unlike other tracks where "pay at the pump" is in effect. Bottom line...you can't get fuel whenever you want, only when the attendant is there. The attendant will process your credit card for the sale.

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]