Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Roadside Assistance (towing) for trailer with race car aboar 

Last week I set out on US 301 from my home in MD for Danville, VA to attend the SVRA Gold Cup races at VIR. I got about 75 miles when the truck began losing power, almost coming to a halt a few times. I finally struggled down to the I95/US 301 intersection, pulled into a motel parking lot and called AAA MidAtlantic to arrange for towing back to my home for both the truck and 20' tag box trailer (with car aboard) under my Premier RV coverage. The AAA agent told me that while they would tow the truck at no charge they would not cover towing of the trailer as it was not an RV as it did not have separate living quarters nor did it have a "Recreational Vehicle", ATV, motorcycle or boat loaded aboard. I contacted an independent towing company and they towed the trailer to my home the same day for $365.

Earlier this week I filed a claim for reimbursement with AAA telling them that when I added the Premium RV coverage five years ago to my underlying AAA coverage--which I have had for over 30 years--the sales agent told me definitively that my trailer/race car set up would be fully covered for towing for an additional premium of $50.00. I spent a frustrating hour on the phone yesterday with an AAA rep who just as definitively told me that notwithstanding what I may have been told by its sales agent AAA did NOT cover utility trailers with race cars aboard. She refused to discuss any reimbursement of either the $365.00 towing charge or the 5 x $50.00 additional premium that I had been paying for non-existent coverage. I told her to cancel my remaining membership as I was sure I could get the coverage I needed elsewhere--specifically Good Sam--as I know lots of other racers who have coverage with them.

I just got off the phone with Good Sam and the agent told me they do NOT provide coverage for towing utility trailers with race cars loaded up!

So, I am wondering whether anyone has--or at least thinks they have--coverage for their tow vehicle AND trailer when a race car is loaded aboard. If so, I would appreciate learning the name of the company and any experience--positive or negative--that he may have had when seeking towing benefits.

Best--Michael Oritt

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 am

Yesterday I spoke with a Hagerty representative and upgraded my coverage which now includes towing not only for my car trailer but for all of my civilian cars. The annual premium, including "Pit and Paddock" on the race cars, "Classic" on a 1954 Austin Healey 100 street car and comprehensive on the trailer is only $150.00

Best--Michael Oritt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:39 am

It looks like the $60 per year Premium service also covers trailer towing.
Curious why you didn't go that direction? Other than covering multiple cars is there any other benefits?

I have AAA Premium for my cars and also have Hagerty for the race cars and may want to add the Hagerty Premium to cover the trailer roadside assistance.
We use AAA allot for our street cars and have been very happy with that service.

Keith

Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:56 am

Hi Guys,
Just curious, you mentioned Hagerty insurance for your race car. I was not aware you could insure a race car, I would think the risk would be too high. Could you provide a little more info on this?

Thanks,

Rick

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:24 pm
Site Moderator

Rick Londono wrote:
I was not aware you could insure a race car, I would think the risk would be too high. Could you provide a little more info on this?

It covers non-race activity like trailering and even paddock driving. But not on-track racing.

1961 MGA, 1981 Alfa Romeo GTV6, 1984 Alfa Romeo Spider,
1991 Honda ST1100, 1999 Ford F250, 2006 Toyota Solara

Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 pm
Site Moderator

Both Hagerty and Heacock write the kind of insurance tailored to our race cars. It covers everything you might want on the road and the paddock, but not on the track.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:26 am

I'll be testing my relatively new Hagerty coverage on Monday as I have to have my beater Toyota Tundra flat-bedded to the dealer.
I am locked out of it and lost the only key I had. It looks like I am going to have to pay Toyota $650.00 for them to cut and program a new key/remote fob--BIG BUMMER!!!

As stated earlier the upgraded Hagerty coverage supposedly applies to ALL vehicles I own, not just ones upon which I have the Pit and Paddock coverage.

I'll let you all know how it goes and BTW am sure that once I have the new key/remote fob made I will run across the old one.

Best--Michael Oritt

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:18 pm

As I said in my post from last week I recently lost the only remaining key and electronic remote door opener to my 2007 Toyota Tundra and after an exhaustive investigation learned that no lock smith could make a key for it that would start the car and my only alternative was to have the vehicle towed to the local Toyota dealer to have a new key cut and programmed and to get a new remote--all for only $650.00.

Today I called Hagerty and told them that I needed a rollback to take the car about 10 miles to the local Toyota dealer and after giving the agent my information he cheerfully set up the tow. Within one hour my truck was on its way at no expense to me and my "Hagerty Plus" coverage performed exactly as I hoped for. I pay a relatively small additional premium over that for the Pit and Paddock coverage on my three race cars and the Classic Car coverage for my (street) 1954 Austin-Healey. In return Hagerty will tow any vehicle owned by me including my enclosed trailer for 100 miles at no charge.

This is far and away the best deal in town. I have been a Hagerty customer for about 20 years, first for the Healey and then for the race cars. They really are a good company and support our sport.

Best--Michael Oritt

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]