Find Us On: Facebook Twitter
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Roadside Assistance (towing) for trailer with race car aboar 

Last week I set out on US 301 from my home in MD for Danville, VA to attend the SVRA Gold Cup races at VIR. I got about 75 miles when the truck began losing power, almost coming to a halt a few times. I finally struggled down to the I95/US 301 intersection, pulled into a motel parking lot and called AAA MidAtlantic to arrange for towing back to my home for both the truck and 20' tag box trailer (with car aboard) under my Premier RV coverage. The AAA agent told me that while they would tow the truck at no charge they would not cover towing of the trailer as it was not an RV as it did not have separate living quarters nor did it have a "Recreational Vehicle", ATV, motorcycle or boat loaded aboard. I contacted an independent towing company and they towed the trailer to my home the same day for $365.

Earlier this week I filed a claim for reimbursement with AAA telling them that when I added the Premium RV coverage five years ago to my underlying AAA coverage--which I have had for over 30 years--the sales agent told me definitively that my trailer/race car set up would be fully covered for towing for an additional premium of $50.00. I spent a frustrating hour on the phone yesterday with an AAA rep who just as definitively told me that notwithstanding what I may have been told by its sales agent AAA did NOT cover utility trailers with race cars aboard. She refused to discuss any reimbursement of either the $365.00 towing charge or the 5 x $50.00 additional premium that I had been paying for non-existent coverage. I told her to cancel my remaining membership as I was sure I could get the coverage I needed elsewhere--specifically Good Sam--as I know lots of other racers who have coverage with them.

I just got off the phone with Good Sam and the agent told me they do NOT provide coverage for towing utility trailers with race cars loaded up!

So, I am wondering whether anyone has--or at least thinks they have--coverage for their tow vehicle AND trailer when a race car is loaded aboard. If so, I would appreciate learning the name of the company and any experience--positive or negative--that he may have had when seeking towing benefits.

Best--Michael Oritt

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:51 am

Yesterday I spoke with a Hagerty representative and upgraded my coverage which now includes towing not only for my car trailer but for all of my civilian cars. The annual premium, including "Pit and Paddock" on the race cars, "Classic" on a 1954 Austin Healey 100 street car and comprehensive on the trailer is only $150.00

Best--Michael Oritt

Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]